DNA Ancestry Test - Applications
Find Family Connections and Family Origins
Y-DNA testing allows males to determine if they have a common male ancestor in their paternal line. Genealogists use Y Chromosome testing to accurately trace the male lineage. The Y-Chromosome is passed down from the paternal line the same way that the surname is passed down (e.g. father to son to grandson, etc.). As a result, by testing the Y-Chromosome, you are able to find and link together male relatives who share a common male ancestor many generations ago. This is an invaluable tool for genealogists and allows two or more males to determine whether they share a common ancestor in their paternal line.
Applications of the Y-DNA Test
- Accurately trace your last name (surname)
- Determine whether your surname is from the same family as other lines which share your surname.
- Confirm stories and rumours about your family line.
- Identify your ethnic and geographic origin for recent as well as far distant relatives on your direct male descending line.
- Check your Native-American or African Ancestry
- Check for the Cohanim Ancestry