This paternal ancestry Y-DNA test analyzes short tandem repeat (STR) markers on your paternally inherited Y chromosome (Y-DNA). This allows you to trace the ancestry of your direct paternal lineage (your father’s, father’s, father’s…paternal lineage). Y-DNA STR markers are useful for tracing recent ancestral events, as they tend to change more frequently than SNP markers in the Y-DNA.
Important! This test can only be taken by MALES, as only males have Y-DNA. Females wishing to trace their own paternal lineage must test the Y-DNA of a direct male line relative.
Trace the ancestry of your direct paternal lineage to:
- Define your paternal ethnic background
- Understand your paternal origins
- Search a global database for long-lost relatives on your paternal line
- Compare your Y-DNA against famous people throughout history, including famous and infamous individuals, royalty, outlaws, world leaders, poets, and more
After you receive your results report, your journey continues online. Search one of four powerful complimentary DNA databases which will allow you to bring your ancestry research to the next level:
- DNA Reunion Database – Search for long lost family lines. Ideal for genealogists looking to expand their family tree and confirm or refute family legends, individuals looking for their biological parents and family members separated by adoption or other reasons (e.g. war).
- Indigenous DNA Database – Determine which indigenous groups are most similar to your DNA type.
- DNA Haplogroups Database – Trace you ancestry back over 100,000 years to its ancient roots in Africa.
- Famous DNA Database – Compare your DNA to famous or notable people in history.