Vitamin B9 is one of the 8 water-soluble B Vitamins. It is the generic term for both naturally occurring food folate and the folic acid form of the vitamin used in dietary supplements and fortified foods.
Folate or folic acid generates red and white blood cells. It helps to produce DNA and RNA and sets out the building blocks for the rapid growth of cells during infancy, adolescence, and pregnancy.
Symptoms of Folate Deficiency include:
- Constipation, poor digestion and bloating
- Chronic fatigue
- Feeling flat in energy and mood
- Increased vulnerability to colds and flu
- Pale or yellow-tinged skin
- Hair greying or thinning
- Mouth ulcers
- A tender and/or swollen tongue
- Stunted growth
- Developmental problems during pregnancy and/or infancy
A folate deficiency can be caused by an inadequate dietary intake as well as genetic impairments and underlying conditions.
The test must be taken fasted, before 9am and returned on the same day.
You should take the test if:
- You are trying to get pregnant
- You are pregnant
- You have had gastrointestinal surgery
- You have digestive disorders like Crohn’s or Celiac disease
- You are (or were) an alcoholic
- You maintain a vegan or vegetarian diet
- You are experiencing symptoms of anemia
- You have a vitamin B12 deficiency
- You have a seizure-causing condition and are taking anticonvulsant drugs
HOW IT WORKS
Order your test.
Choose the test that matches your need from our large array of tests. The kit will be delivered to your door step. There is no need to leave the comfort of your home.
Collect your sample.
Register and activate your test. Collect your sample first thing in the morning. Return your sample to our lab as soon as possible, using the prepaid envelope included in the kit.
Your sample will be tested as soon as it arrives in our lab. Your results will be available through our secure online platform.
Details and FAQs
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we usually get. Please feel free to contact us if you have any other questions.
We has a team of physicians who will review your order and results. Our nursing team is on standby throughout the testing process and, if you test positive, you will receive a call to discuss your results and treatment options.
Please ensure that the sample is collected before 9am and returned immediately using the carrier method provided within the test kit. Each test includes a prepaid shipping envelope to return your samples to the laboratory.
Please do not collect or return samples on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Your samples are processed in the same labs used by primary care providers, hospitals and government schemes.
Therizon laboratories are CLIA approved and CAP-accredited, which are the highest levels of accreditation. Tests kits are manufactured within our ISO 1385 accredited facility, the highest level of accreditation for medical devices.