Chlamydia and gonorrhea are easily diagnosed and treatedChlamydia and gonorrhea are common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) caused by bacterial infections. They are transmitted through sexual contact with the penis, vagina, mouth, or anus of an infected individual. These STDs can also be transmitted from a mother with an untreated infection to her newborn during childbirth, increasing the risk of chlamydial conjunctivitis and pneumonia, and gonorrhea-associated eye infections and sepsis. Although many infected individuals do not show any symptoms, untreated chlamydial and gonorrheal infections can lead to serious health complications. In females, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), and PID-associated infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and chronic pelvic pain can occur. Untreated chlamydia during pregnancy has been associated with preterm delivery, and untreated gonorrhea during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage and inflammation of the lining of the uterus. Complications in untreated males can include epididymitis, sterility, and prostatis. Other potential complications include gonococcal bacteremia, pharyngitis, and reactive arthritis. Chlamydial and gonorrheal infections also facilitate the transmission of HIV infection.
Why consider this test?You should consider getting tested if:
- You are sexually active
- You have had unprotected sex
- You are entering a new relationship
- You are experiencing symptoms of an STD
- You have had a partner with an STD
- Annual testing for both chlamydia and gonorrhea in all sexually active females <25 years, and in females >25 years who have risk factors (e.g. new partner or multiple sexual partners)
- Testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea in all pregnant females
- Annual testing for gonorrhea in all sexually active males <25 years, and in males >25 years who have risk factors
- Routine testing for chlamydia in sexually active men who have sex with men, and in clinical settings with a high prevalence of chlamydia
Symptoms of gonorrheal infection in the rectum:
- Itching in the anus
- Pain when making a bowel movement
- Rectal bleeding
Symptoms of oral gonorrhea:
- Red, sore throat
- Lymph node swelling in the neck
Most individuals infected with chlamydia and gonorrhea are asymptomatic (do not show symptoms).
- Pain and burning while urinating
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal pain, swelling or discharge
- Vaginal discharge
- Bleeding after sex
- Bleeding between periods
- Discharge from the penis
- Swollen testicles
- Itching or burning of the penis
How It Works
Order your test
Choose the test that matches your need from our large array of tests. The kit will be delivered to your doorstep. There is no need to leave the comfort of your home.
Collect your sample
Register and activate your test. Collect your sample. Return your sample to our lab as soon as possible, using the prepaid envelope included in the kit.
Your sample will be tested as soon as it arrives in our lab. Your results will be available through our secure online platform.